Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Nerves of Steel

There have been several times in my career when I have been trusted to handle extremely important original objects.  I suppose it is confidence and a naturally even temperament that prevents my hands from shaking and my brow from sweating when handling these things.  As a framer, I try to treat all items in exactly the same careful manner, but truth be told, I do specially mentally prepare the morning before handling unique and meaningful items.

So, a dear friend shows up with SIX one-of-a-kind, irreplaceable Zoe Strauss polaroids.  Of HER CHILDREN.  SIGNED.  (Zoe Strauss--South Philly's own Gund Fellow, Whitney Biennialist, and about-to-have-her-own-solo-show-at-the Art-Museum--Zoe Strauss.)  No pressure.

signatures on backs

The family decided to frame the photos in 2 sets of 3 images, already dividing the estate evenly ;)  The design for these happened organically.  My friend wanted a clean, simple gallery style:  possibly white-on-white.  We decided on a float design (where the items are placed on top of a mat, instead of having openings cut), and I suggested I get some specialty white photocorners (hooray for scrapbooking--these things are available in every color at every craft store and they're acid-free!) to give the look of a vintage scrapbook, and also be an adhesive-free mounting method.


Here's my old school placement method.  No marks on mat necessary.


And above the mounting process is complete.  Not seen in this pic:  the white cotton gloves I'm wearing.

We considered a white gallery frame to complete a white-on-white look, but then I remembered a recent acquisition to my sample wall:  walnut lacquer!  REALLY high gloss, very square, and terrifically homespun 70s retro.  Perfection!


LACCA!

I decided to use sidewalls here, rather than spacers.  The sides of the frame are lined in the same mat as the background.  Sidewalls give greater depth than spacers and really complete the look of a display case.  Museum glass is the topper as it is unlike any glass you've ever seen.  It looks invisible, as if there is no glass on here at all.

The finished product(s):


No comments:

Post a Comment