Thursday, September 15, 2011

design trend

collage walls, part 4
salon or curated walls
collections

I've saved my favorite for last in my 4 part series on collage walls.  Folks are referring to these as salon walls, or curated walls, and it just means an interesting display of meaningful things.  There's lots of freedom here:  art doesn't have to have a theme or be the same medium, framing doesn't have to be uniform, and there's no rules to spacing.  And I've recently had a language epiphany--curators do the curating.  We regular folks do the collecting.  "Curating" is really a popular word these days (I have been a guilty participant of its overuse--but no more!), and deserves more respect than the way we've been throwing it around.

source

source

source

source

source

I love the off-kilter look of these displays, they are clearly designed, but not too design-y.  But more than that I love that each collection reflects the people that live in the space. 


No comments:

Post a Comment