Thursday, March 8, 2012

odd jobs

Occasionally I get some unusual requests for framing related projects.  I will listen to anybody's strange DIY projects for home decor (thanks, pinterest!), and take jobs in on a case-by-case basis.

Here's one I love because of the quality of the materials.  A client brought in an old 8 panel window he acquired somewhere in his travels.  When he first brought it in it was covered in chipped old paint.  He was thinking about stripping off the paint if I could replace the glass with mirrors.  No problem!

Below is the backside of the window after he had stripped the paint and lightly stained the wood.  Beautiful!  I can easily replace glass in old wooden windows if they have this construction, or rabbets all around:

detail inside one panel, face down on table

7 of 8 mirrors cut to size and in place, face down

completed project!

Another out-of-the-ordinary request recently was for me to mount wallpaper panels.  This part was not unusual as we have an incredible wallpaper shop on E Passyunk (near South St), and I have framed swatches for many a client (myself included :).  However, these were 2 foot by 8 foot panels.  The client did not want to hang the wallpaper on the wall, but wondered if it was possible to drymount the panels to foamboard so they could be hung in a less permanent manner.  8 feet is very long for foamboard which warps easily.  I suggested gatorboard which is a much more rigid substrate.  Worked like a charm!

completed panels
And the last odd job I want to mention here started as a regular framing order.  A client wanted to frame a decorative dishtowel to hang in their kitchen.

They only wanted to frame the image.  As we were selecting a frame, we were all kind of lamenting the loss of the rickrack border and stripes.  I said I'd try to figure something out.

The rickrack was much cuter on the other side, above I was just trying to figure out a way to fold it to get it into the frame.

In the end I decided to cut the rickrack and the stripes off and mount them (with client's blessing) to matboard strips, which I cut and mitred above.

completed project

No comments:

Post a Comment