Sunday, March 20, 2011

heirloom material

I was delighted to see a new client appear at my door with a beautiful heirloom crocheted doily.  I love working with textiles, and I myself have been known to get crafty with hooks & needles.  This antique doily is extremely well executed and in great condition.

The best way to mount textiles is to hand sew them down to a mat using a thread that is a similar fiber to the object.  Here, I have used a cream color cotton thread and used very fine stitches to be completely invisible.


Also, in case like this, I like to use a fabric covered mat.  The client and I looked at several, and this one, though appearing completely black at first glance, is a cotton linen striated subtly with red.  Swoon.


We chose to execute this as a shadowbox with sidewalls lined in the same fabric covered mat.

sidewalls oriented with lines in the fabric
And then we selected a stunning Victorian frame, slightly distressed and also not-quite-black.  Bits of patina peeking through.  And glazed it all with museum glass.  


No comments:

Post a Comment